Couscous with Currants
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Roasted garlic and lemon dress this couscous salad. Currants and tomatoes add sweet counterpoints to the tangy dressing. This dish is best served at room temperature.
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, (5 scallions)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir together lukewarm water, couscous, currants and salt in a large bowl. Let stand until the water has been absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dip tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds, refresh under cold water and slip off skins. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise, remove seeds, dice and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots and tender, about 10 minutes. Slip the garlic from their skins and trim the tough ends.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, mustard, sugar and the roasted garlic in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add scallions, parsley and the diced tomatoes. Drizzle with the lemon dressing and toss lightly to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve within 2 hours.
Per serving: 168 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- May/June 1994