Couscous with Currants
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Roasted garlic and lemon dress this couscous salad. Currants and tomatoes add sweet counterpoints to the tangy dressing. This dish is best served at room temperature.
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, (5 scallions)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir together lukewarm water, couscous, currants and salt in a large bowl. Let stand until the water has been absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dip tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds, refresh under cold water and slip off skins. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise, remove seeds, dice and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots and tender, about 10 minutes. Slip the garlic from their skins and trim the tough ends.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, mustard, sugar and the roasted garlic in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add scallions, parsley and the diced tomatoes. Drizzle with the lemon dressing and toss lightly to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve within 2 hours.
Per serving: 168 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- May/June 1994