Couscous with Currants
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Roasted garlic and lemon dress this couscous salad. Currants and tomatoes add sweet counterpoints to the tangy dressing. This dish is best served at room temperature.
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, (5 scallions)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir together lukewarm water, couscous, currants and salt in a large bowl. Let stand until the water has been absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dip tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds, refresh under cold water and slip off skins. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise, remove seeds, dice and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots and tender, about 10 minutes. Slip the garlic from their skins and trim the tough ends.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, mustard, sugar and the roasted garlic in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add scallions, parsley and the diced tomatoes. Drizzle with the lemon dressing and toss lightly to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve within 2 hours.
Per serving: 168 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- May/June 1994