Couscous with Currants
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Roasted garlic and lemon dress this couscous salad. Currants and tomatoes add sweet counterpoints to the tangy dressing. This dish is best served at room temperature.
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, (5 scallions)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir together lukewarm water, couscous, currants and salt in a large bowl. Let stand until the water has been absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dip tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds, refresh under cold water and slip off skins. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise, remove seeds, dice and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots and tender, about 10 minutes. Slip the garlic from their skins and trim the tough ends.
- Combine lemon juice, oil, mustard, sugar and the roasted garlic in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork. Add scallions, parsley and the diced tomatoes. Drizzle with the lemon dressing and toss lightly to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve within 2 hours.
Per serving: 168 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- May/June 1994