From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals, whole-wheat couscous is ready to eat in minutes. Make it a meal: Fill pita bread with this salad for a tasty sandwich.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about cups)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces), optional
- Combine couscous, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour water over the couscous and cover. Let stand until the water has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Let cool completely.
- Chop parsley, mint and scallions in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add them to the couscous, along with tomatoes and lemon juice. Toss to blend. Gently stir in feta, if using. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Per serving: 110 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996