From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals, whole-wheat couscous is ready to eat in minutes. Make it a meal: Fill pita bread with this salad for a tasty sandwich.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about cups)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces), optional
- Combine couscous, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour water over the couscous and cover. Let stand until the water has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Let cool completely.
- Chop parsley, mint and scallions in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add them to the couscous, along with tomatoes and lemon juice. Toss to blend. Gently stir in feta, if using. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Per serving: 110 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1996
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)