From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals, whole-wheat couscous is ready to eat in minutes. Make it a meal: Fill pita bread with this salad for a tasty sandwich.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about cups)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces), optional
- Combine couscous, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour water over the couscous and cover. Let stand until the water has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Let cool completely.
- Chop parsley, mint and scallions in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add them to the couscous, along with tomatoes and lemon juice. Toss to blend. Gently stir in feta, if using. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Per serving: 110 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Middle Eastern
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996