From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals, whole-wheat couscous is ready to eat in minutes. Make it a meal: Fill pita bread with this salad for a tasty sandwich.
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about cups)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 ounces), optional
- Combine couscous, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour water over the couscous and cover. Let stand until the water has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Let cool completely.
- Chop parsley, mint and scallions in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add them to the couscous, along with tomatoes and lemon juice. Toss to blend. Gently stir in feta, if using. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Per serving: 110 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996