Cottage Cheese Rugelach
Expect some of the walnut-currant filling to ooze out of these delights during baking, but don't worry—there will still be plenty inside the cookie.
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed to yield 1 cup
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Grape-Nuts cereal
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- To make dough: Beat the cottage cheese, cream cheese, granulated sugar, oil, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix together flour and salt and add to the cheese mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until just blended. Wrap dough in wax paper, then in plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- To make filling: Stir together brown sugar, Grape-Nuts, walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Set oven rack in upper portion of oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- To form and bake rugelach: Divide the dough into four equal parts. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch-diameter circle. (Keep the remaining dough chilled until ready to use.) Sprinkle with one-quarter of the brown-sugar mixture and 2 tablespoons currants, pressing slightly so that the filling adheres. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Beginning at the widest end, roll up each wedge and curve into a crescent. Place on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake until tops are light brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer to a rack and let cool.
Per rugelach: 112 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation