Cottage Cheese Rugelach
Expect some of the walnut-currant filling to ooze out of these delights during baking, but don't worry—there will still be plenty inside the cookie.
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed to yield 1 cup
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Grape-Nuts cereal
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- To make dough: Beat the cottage cheese, cream cheese, granulated sugar, oil, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix together flour and salt and add to the cheese mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until just blended. Wrap dough in wax paper, then in plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- To make filling: Stir together brown sugar, Grape-Nuts, walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Set oven rack in upper portion of oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- To form and bake rugelach: Divide the dough into four equal parts. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch-diameter circle. (Keep the remaining dough chilled until ready to use.) Sprinkle with one-quarter of the brown-sugar mixture and 2 tablespoons currants, pressing slightly so that the filling adheres. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Beginning at the widest end, roll up each wedge and curve into a crescent. Place on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake until tops are light brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer to a rack and let cool.
Per rugelach: 112 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation