Cottage Cheese Rugelach
Expect some of the walnut-currant filling to ooze out of these delights during baking, but don't worry—there will still be plenty inside the cookie.
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed to yield 1 cup
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Grape-Nuts cereal
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- To make dough: Beat the cottage cheese, cream cheese, granulated sugar, oil, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix together flour and salt and add to the cheese mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until just blended. Wrap dough in wax paper, then in plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- To make filling: Stir together brown sugar, Grape-Nuts, walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Set oven rack in upper portion of oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- To form and bake rugelach: Divide the dough into four equal parts. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch-diameter circle. (Keep the remaining dough chilled until ready to use.) Sprinkle with one-quarter of the brown-sugar mixture and 2 tablespoons currants, pressing slightly so that the filling adheres. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Beginning at the widest end, roll up each wedge and curve into a crescent. Place on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake until tops are light brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer to a rack and let cool.
Per rugelach: 112 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique