Cottage Cheese Rugelach
Expect some of the walnut-currant filling to ooze out of these delights during baking, but don't worry—there will still be plenty inside the cookie.
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed to yield 1 cup
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Grape-Nuts cereal
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- To make dough: Beat the cottage cheese, cream cheese, granulated sugar, oil, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix together flour and salt and add to the cheese mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until just blended. Wrap dough in wax paper, then in plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- To make filling: Stir together brown sugar, Grape-Nuts, walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Set oven rack in upper portion of oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- To form and bake rugelach: Divide the dough into four equal parts. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch-diameter circle. (Keep the remaining dough chilled until ready to use.) Sprinkle with one-quarter of the brown-sugar mixture and 2 tablespoons currants, pressing slightly so that the filling adheres. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Beginning at the widest end, roll up each wedge and curve into a crescent. Place on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake until tops are light brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer to a rack and let cool.
Per rugelach: 112 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique