Cottage Cheese Rugelach
Expect some of the walnut-currant filling to ooze out of these delights during baking, but don't worry—there will still be plenty inside the cookie.
- 2 cups nonfat cottage cheese, pressed to yield 1 cup
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel) (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Grape-Nuts cereal
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- To make dough: Beat the cottage cheese, cream cheese, granulated sugar, oil, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix together flour and salt and add to the cheese mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until just blended. Wrap dough in wax paper, then in plastic wrap, and chill 2 to 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- To make filling: Stir together brown sugar, Grape-Nuts, walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Set oven rack in upper portion of oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- To form and bake rugelach: Divide the dough into four equal parts. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch-diameter circle. (Keep the remaining dough chilled until ready to use.) Sprinkle with one-quarter of the brown-sugar mixture and 2 tablespoons currants, pressing slightly so that the filling adheres. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Beginning at the widest end, roll up each wedge and curve into a crescent. Place on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake until tops are light brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Immediately transfer to a rack and let cool.
Per rugelach: 112 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 101 mg sodium; 44 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique