Sesame seeds form a nice crust on this bread, which is particularly good toasted for breakfast.
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (approximately), divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 packages active dry yeast, (2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seeds
- Stir together 2 cups flour, cornmeal, dry milk, oat bran, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Heat water, oil and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until very warm, about 8 minutes. Add the warm liquid and whole egg to the flour mixture and blend with a mixer set at low speed or by hand until well combined. Gradually stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking. Place dough in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch the dough down, and divide it in half and shape each portion into a ball. Return the dough to the bowl, and let rest for 15 minutes, covered. Lightly oil two 8-by-4-inch loaf pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. Shape balls into loaves to fit pans, cover and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the dough and brush the tops of the loaves lightly with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with sesame (or poppy) seeds. Bake the loaves until the tops are golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the pans and let cool on a wire rack.
Per slice: 131 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 124 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique