Sesame seeds form a nice crust on this bread, which is particularly good toasted for breakfast.
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (approximately), divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 packages active dry yeast, (2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seeds
- Stir together 2 cups flour, cornmeal, dry milk, oat bran, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Heat water, oil and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until very warm, about 8 minutes. Add the warm liquid and whole egg to the flour mixture and blend with a mixer set at low speed or by hand until well combined. Gradually stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking. Place dough in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch the dough down, and divide it in half and shape each portion into a ball. Return the dough to the bowl, and let rest for 15 minutes, covered. Lightly oil two 8-by-4-inch loaf pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. Shape balls into loaves to fit pans, cover and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the dough and brush the tops of the loaves lightly with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with sesame (or poppy) seeds. Bake the loaves until the tops are golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the pans and let cool on a wire rack.
Per slice: 131 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 124 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique