Sesame seeds form a nice crust on this bread, which is particularly good toasted for breakfast.
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (approximately), divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 packages active dry yeast, (2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seeds
- Stir together 2 cups flour, cornmeal, dry milk, oat bran, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Heat water, oil and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until very warm, about 8 minutes. Add the warm liquid and whole egg to the flour mixture and blend with a mixer set at low speed or by hand until well combined. Gradually stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking. Place dough in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch the dough down, and divide it in half and shape each portion into a ball. Return the dough to the bowl, and let rest for 15 minutes, covered. Lightly oil two 8-by-4-inch loaf pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. Shape balls into loaves to fit pans, cover and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the dough and brush the tops of the loaves lightly with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with sesame (or poppy) seeds. Bake the loaves until the tops are golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the pans and let cool on a wire rack.
Per slice: 131 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 124 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Grapefruit can add a healthy and refreshing flavor to entrees...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique