Sesame seeds form a nice crust on this bread, which is particularly good toasted for breakfast.
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (approximately), divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 packages active dry yeast, (2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seeds
- Stir together 2 cups flour, cornmeal, dry milk, oat bran, yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Heat water, oil and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until very warm, about 8 minutes. Add the warm liquid and whole egg to the flour mixture and blend with a mixer set at low speed or by hand until well combined. Gradually stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups flour until the dough pulls away from the bowl.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking. Place dough in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch the dough down, and divide it in half and shape each portion into a ball. Return the dough to the bowl, and let rest for 15 minutes, covered. Lightly oil two 8-by-4-inch loaf pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. Shape balls into loaves to fit pans, cover and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover the dough and brush the tops of the loaves lightly with beaten egg white. Sprinkle with sesame (or poppy) seeds. Bake the loaves until the tops are golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the pans and let cool on a wire rack.
Per slice: 131 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 124 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (19% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation