Corned Beef Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
A comforting dish with a healthier profile.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups diced cooked potatoes, or frozen hash-brown potatoes
- 1 cup chopped lean corned beef brisket, (4 ounces, see Tip)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute; until it starts to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring, until they brown in spots and become crusty, about 8 minutes more. Stir in corned beef and broth and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed, 5 to 8 minutes. Add parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, fill a large skillet with 2 inches salted water and bring to a gentle simmer. Break eggs, one at a time, onto a saucer and slide into the simmering water. Poach eggs until set to desired firmness, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Divide hash among 4 plates. Place eggs on top of hash.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Corned beef can be purchased at your supermarket deli. Be sure to specify lean: it has 1 gram fat per ounce and an ounce of regular corned beef has 5 grams fat.
Per serving: 320 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 240 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 493 mg sodium; 695 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- St Patrick's Day
- March 1998