Cornbread & Sausage Stuffing
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Cornbread stuffing, a Southern favorite, is a nice change from more traditional white-bread stuffing. Our delectable recipe uses Italian turkey sausage, rather than pork, and omits all the butter and cream to cut the fat by two-thirds. The stuffing is lower in sodium as well and so easy to make that it's sure to become a favorite side year-round.
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, (about 4 links), casings removed
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds prepared cornbread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2-3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add onion and celery; cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add cornbread, parsley and sage.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Pour 1 cup over the stuffing mixture and toss gently (the cornbread will break into smaller pieces). Add as much of the remaining broth as needed, 1/2 cup at a time, until the stuffing feels moist but not wet. Spoon the stuffing into the prepared pan and cover with foil.
- Bake the stuffing until thoroughly heated, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bake at 350Â°F until hot, about 30 minutes.
Per serving: 242 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2007