Cornbread & Sausage Stuffing
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Cornbread stuffing, a Southern favorite, is a nice change from more traditional white-bread stuffing. Our delectable recipe uses Italian turkey sausage, rather than pork, and omits all the butter and cream to cut the fat by two-thirds. The stuffing is lower in sodium as well and so easy to make that it's sure to become a favorite side year-round.
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage, (about 4 links), casings removed
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds prepared cornbread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2-3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add onion and celery; cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add cornbread, parsley and sage.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Pour 1 cup over the stuffing mixture and toss gently (the cornbread will break into smaller pieces). Add as much of the remaining broth as needed, 1/2 cup at a time, until the stuffing feels moist but not wet. Spoon the stuffing into the prepared pan and cover with foil.
- Bake the stuffing until thoroughly heated, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bake at 350Â°F until hot, about 30 minutes.
Per serving: 242 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 692 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2007