Corn with Bacon & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
This simple combination of corn, mushrooms and bacon goes with everything from burgers to lightly scrambled eggs and toast.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as oyster, shiitake and/or baby bella
- 4 ears corn, kernels cut from cob (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and chop.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, about 3 minutes more. Add corn kernels and water and cook until the corn is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chopped bacon and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To remove kernels, stand a cob on its stem end in a bowl and slice them off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
Per serving: 99 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 367 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 2008