Corn & Tomato Pizzas
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Remember English-muffin pizzas? This healthier, grown-up approach uses whole-grain pitas and a variety of vegetables for an almost-instant entree you'll love just as much.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 4 oil-cured black olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Position rack in bottom of the oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to turn golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Bake until starting to crisp, about 5 minutes. Top with the tomato mixture, olives and cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil, cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Buy just what you need at an olive bar or salad bar. Refrigerate olives for up to 6 months. Sprinkle on salads; toss with chopped fresh herbs and a little extra-virgin olive oil for a quick appetizer; pit, chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
Per serving: 412 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 247 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two