Corn & Tomato Pizzas
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Remember English-muffin pizzas? This healthier, grown-up approach uses whole-grain pitas and a variety of vegetables for an almost-instant entree you'll love just as much.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 4 oil-cured black olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Position rack in bottom of the oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to turn golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Bake until starting to crisp, about 5 minutes. Top with the tomato mixture, olives and cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil, cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Buy just what you need at an olive bar or salad bar. Refrigerate olives for up to 6 months. Sprinkle on salads; toss with chopped fresh herbs and a little extra-virgin olive oil for a quick appetizer; pit, chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
Per serving: 412 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 247 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two