Corn & Tomato Pizzas
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Remember English-muffin pizzas? This healthier, grown-up approach uses whole-grain pitas and a variety of vegetables for an almost-instant entree you'll love just as much.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 4 oil-cured black olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Position rack in bottom of the oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to turn golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Bake until starting to crisp, about 5 minutes. Top with the tomato mixture, olives and cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil, cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Buy just what you need at an olive bar or salad bar. Refrigerate olives for up to 6 months. Sprinkle on salads; toss with chopped fresh herbs and a little extra-virgin olive oil for a quick appetizer; pit, chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
Per serving: 412 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 247 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two