Corn & Tomato Pizzas
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Remember English-muffin pizzas? This healthier, grown-up approach uses whole-grain pitas and a variety of vegetables for an almost-instant entree you'll love just as much.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads
- 4 oil-cured black olives, (see Tips for Two), pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Position rack in bottom of the oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to turn golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place pitas on a baking sheet. Bake until starting to crisp, about 5 minutes. Top with the tomato mixture, olives and cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil, cut into wedges and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Buy just what you need at an olive bar or salad bar. Refrigerate olives for up to 6 months. Sprinkle on salads; toss with chopped fresh herbs and a little extra-virgin olive oil for a quick appetizer; pit, chop and add to your favorite pasta sauce.
Per serving: 412 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 752 mg sodium; 247 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- EatingWell Serves Two