Corn & Scallion Griddlecakes
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
For savory breakfast lovers, these griddlecakes fit the bill. Serve them alongside jalapeño chicken sausages.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels, (from 2-3 ears)
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated smoked Cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup tomato salsa
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir in corn, scallions, cheese and jalapeño.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda in another bowl; stir into wet ingredients.
- Brush remaining 1 teaspoon oil evenly over a large nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Use about 3 tablespoons of batter for each griddlecake. Working in batches, spoon batter into hot skillet and spread into 3-inch rounds. Cook until lightly browned on the bottom and set around the edges, about 2 minutes. Turn the cakes with a spatula and cook until lightly browned on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer griddlecakes to an ovenproof platter, cover loosely with foil and keep warm in the oven until all of the batter is cooked. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.
Per serving: 269 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 826 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1997