Corn & Scallion Griddlecakes
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
For savory breakfast lovers, these griddlecakes fit the bill. Serve them alongside jalapeño chicken sausages.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels, (from 2-3 ears)
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated smoked Cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup tomato salsa
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir in corn, scallions, cheese and jalapeño.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda in another bowl; stir into wet ingredients.
- Brush remaining 1 teaspoon oil evenly over a large nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Use about 3 tablespoons of batter for each griddlecake. Working in batches, spoon batter into hot skillet and spread into 3-inch rounds. Cook until lightly browned on the bottom and set around the edges, about 2 minutes. Turn the cakes with a spatula and cook until lightly browned on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer griddlecakes to an ovenproof platter, cover loosely with foil and keep warm in the oven until all of the batter is cooked. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.
Per serving: 269 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 826 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 1997