Corn & Scallion Griddlecakes
From EatingWell: July/August 1997
For savory breakfast lovers, these griddlecakes fit the bill. Serve them alongside jalapeño chicken sausages.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels, (from 2-3 ears)
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated smoked Cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup tomato salsa
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk egg, buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir in corn, scallions, cheese and jalapeño.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder and baking soda in another bowl; stir into wet ingredients.
- Brush remaining 1 teaspoon oil evenly over a large nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Use about 3 tablespoons of batter for each griddlecake. Working in batches, spoon batter into hot skillet and spread into 3-inch rounds. Cook until lightly browned on the bottom and set around the edges, about 2 minutes. Turn the cakes with a spatula and cook until lightly browned on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer griddlecakes to an ovenproof platter, cover loosely with foil and keep warm in the oven until all of the batter is cooked. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream.
Per serving: 269 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 826 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (21% daily value), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 1997