Corn & Pepper Chowder
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Cooked chicken or seafood would be a nice addition to this soup. For an even richer flavor, sauté the corn first in a teaspoon of oil until lightly browned.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce can condensed cream of celery soup, preferably reduced-fat
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Stir chili powder, cumin and garlic in a dry, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add corn and peppers and toss to coat.
- Add soup and milk; stir until heated through. Stir in scallions and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 122 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 764 mg sodium; 324 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995