Corn & Pepper Chowder
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Cooked chicken or seafood would be a nice addition to this soup. For an even richer flavor, sauté the corn first in a teaspoon of oil until lightly browned.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce can condensed cream of celery soup, preferably reduced-fat
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Stir chili powder, cumin and garlic in a dry, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add corn and peppers and toss to coat.
- Add soup and milk; stir until heated through. Stir in scallions and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 122 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 764 mg sodium; 324 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 1995