Corn & Pepper Chowder
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Cooked chicken or seafood would be a nice addition to this soup. For an even richer flavor, sauté the corn first in a teaspoon of oil until lightly browned.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce can condensed cream of celery soup, preferably reduced-fat
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Stir chili powder, cumin and garlic in a dry, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add corn and peppers and toss to coat.
- Add soup and milk; stir until heated through. Stir in scallions and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 122 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 764 mg sodium; 324 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 1995