From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Evaporated fat-free milk is the key to this slimmed down version of classic corn chowder.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat evaporated milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add celery, bell pepper, garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and potatoes, return to a simmer and cook until all the vegetables are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Place cornstarch in a small bowl, slowly add evaporated milk, stirring until smooth. Stir into the soup and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
Per serving: 200 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 608 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (64% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- January/February 1994