From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Evaporated fat-free milk is the key to this slimmed down version of classic corn chowder.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat evaporated milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add celery, bell pepper, garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and potatoes, return to a simmer and cook until all the vegetables are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Place cornstarch in a small bowl, slowly add evaporated milk, stirring until smooth. Stir into the soup and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
Per serving: 200 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 608 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (64% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994