From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Evaporated fat-free milk is the key to this slimmed down version of classic corn chowder.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat evaporated milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add celery, bell pepper, garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and potatoes, return to a simmer and cook until all the vegetables are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Place cornstarch in a small bowl, slowly add evaporated milk, stirring until smooth. Stir into the soup and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
Per serving: 200 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 608 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (64% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)