From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Evaporated fat-free milk is the key to this slimmed down version of classic corn chowder.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat evaporated milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add celery, bell pepper, garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and potatoes, return to a simmer and cook until all the vegetables are tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Place cornstarch in a small bowl, slowly add evaporated milk, stirring until smooth. Stir into the soup and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
Per serving: 200 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 608 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (64% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Calcium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994