From EatingWell: November/December 1994
This sturdy cornbread works well in stuffing.
- 2 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups skim or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery (4 large stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl and mix well. Whisk together egg, milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in another large bowl; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened. Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add the cubed cornbread and parsley; toss to mix. Slowly add broth, tossing until the cornbread is well moistened. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and store in a plastic bag in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 239 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 720 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994