From EatingWell: November/December 1994
This sturdy cornbread works well in stuffing.
- 2 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups skim or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery (4 large stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl and mix well. Whisk together egg, milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in another large bowl; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened. Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add the cubed cornbread and parsley; toss to mix. Slowly add broth, tossing until the cornbread is well moistened. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and store in a plastic bag in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 239 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 720 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994