Corn Bread Stuffing
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
This sturdy corn bread works well in stuffing.
- 2 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups skim or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions, (2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery, (4 large stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl and mix well. Whisk together egg, milk and 1 1/2 tablespoon oil in another large bowl; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened. Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add the cubed corn bread and parsley; toss to mix. Slowly add broth, tossing until the corn bread is well moistened. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and store in a plastic bag in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 239 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 720 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- November/December 1994