From EatingWell: November/December 1994
This sturdy cornbread works well in stuffing.
- 2 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups skim or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery (4 large stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl and mix well. Whisk together egg, milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in another large bowl; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened. Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add the cubed cornbread and parsley; toss to mix. Slowly add broth, tossing until the cornbread is well moistened. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and store in a plastic bag in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 239 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 720 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1994