From EatingWell: November/December 1994
This sturdy cornbread works well in stuffing.
- 2 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups skim or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions (2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped celery (4 large stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl and mix well. Whisk together egg, milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in another large bowl; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened. Turn the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add the cubed cornbread and parsley; toss to mix. Slowly add broth, tossing until the cornbread is well moistened. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and store in a plastic bag in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw before continuing.
Per serving: 239 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 4 g fiber; 720 mg sodium; 236 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1994