Roasted Corn, Black Bean & Mango Salad
This simple, fresh-tasting salad adds delicious variety to grilled foods, such as salmon, halibut, chicken or pork. Browning the corn in a skillet gives it a nutty, caramelized flavor that contrasts with the sweetness of the mango.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, (from 3 ears)
- 1 large ripe mango, (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
- 1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (see Ingredient Note), drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the corn mixture to a large bowl. Stir in mango, beans, onion, bell pepper, lime juice, chipotle, cilantro, cumin and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Serve at room temperature.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapenos with a fiery taste that are canned in adobo sauce. Look for them in the Hispanic section of large supermarkets and in specialty stores.
Per serving: 125 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 245 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Making a satisfying, low-calorie dinner is easy with our one-...
It’s easy to make a healthy dinner recipe without dirtying...
Grab a box of your favorite whole-wheat linguine or penne...
Good news for people who eat breakfast—they tend to weigh...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
Cutlets—typically a thin slice of meat cut from the rib...
Whether you’re watching your finances or just trying to put a...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
There is no room for a roast that's anything less than...
Chocolate is such a rich and indulgent treat it almost seems...
Creamy blue cheese isn’t just for salads and dressing anymore...
Chopped, layered, pulsed or stirred, these easy dips are...
Ginger pairs well with soy sauce, chile peppers and garlic,...
Our healthy pumpkin dessert recipes are lighter twists on the...
A popular meat around the globe, lamb is raised and consumed...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation