Roasted Corn, Black Bean & Mango Salad
This simple, fresh-tasting salad adds delicious variety to grilled foods, such as salmon, halibut, chicken or pork. Browning the corn in a skillet gives it a nutty, caramelized flavor that contrasts with the sweetness of the mango.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, (from 3 ears)
- 1 large ripe mango, (about 1 pound), peeled and diced
- 1 15-ounce or 19-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (see Ingredient Note), drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the corn mixture to a large bowl. Stir in mango, beans, onion, bell pepper, lime juice, chipotle, cilantro, cumin and salt.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Serve at room temperature.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapenos with a fiery taste that are canned in adobo sauce. Look for them in the Hispanic section of large supermarkets and in specialty stores.
Per serving: 125 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 245 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Fiber (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique