Corn & Basil Cakes
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Try these savory corn-and-basil pancakes as a side dish with barbecued chicken or grilled steak.
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour (see Note) or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 large ears; see Tip) or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Whisk flour, milk, eggs, 1 tablespoon oil, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in corn and basil.
- Brush a large nonstick skillet lightly with some of the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; heat over medium heat until hot (but not smoking). Cook 4 cakes at a time, using about 1/4 cup batter for each, making them about 3 inches wide. Cook until the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, making 10 cakes total. Reduce the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
Tips & Notes
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available in large supermarkets and at natural-foods stores. (Or find it online from bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com.) Store it in the freezer.
- Tip: To cut kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on one end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife.
Per serving: 180 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010