Corn & Basil Cakes
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Try these savory corn-and-basil pancakes as a side dish with barbecued chicken or grilled steak.
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour (see Note) or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 large ears; see Tip) or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Whisk flour, milk, eggs, 1 tablespoon oil, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Stir in corn and basil.
- Brush a large nonstick skillet lightly with some of the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; heat over medium heat until hot (but not smoking). Cook 4 cakes at a time, using about 1/4 cup batter for each, making them about 3 inches wide. Cook until the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 1 to 3 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, making 10 cakes total. Reduce the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
Tips & Notes
- Note: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available in large supermarkets and at natural-foods stores. (Or find it online from bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com.) Store it in the freezer.
- Tip: To cut kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on one end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife.
Per serving: 180 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 250 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010