Corn & Bacon Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Comforting and wholesome, corn chowder served with a green salad makes a satisfying light supper. Stir in some cooked diced or shredded chicken if you crave more protein.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or rice vinegar
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook, stirring often, until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown and soften, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and stir to coat. Add broth and milk and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add corn and potatoes, increase heat to medium-high and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids; see Tip.) Return the pureed soup to the saucepan along with chives, lemon juice (or vinegar) and the cooked bacon.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 338 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 444 mg sodium; 507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two