Corn & Bacon Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Comforting and wholesome, corn chowder served with a green salad makes a satisfying light supper. Stir in some cooked diced or shredded chicken if you crave more protein.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or rice vinegar
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook, stirring often, until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown and soften, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and stir to coat. Add broth and milk and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add corn and potatoes, increase heat to medium-high and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids; see Tip.) Return the pureed soup to the saucepan along with chives, lemon juice (or vinegar) and the cooked bacon.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 338 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 444 mg sodium; 507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two