Corn & Bacon Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Comforting and wholesome, corn chowder served with a green salad makes a satisfying light supper. Stir in some cooked diced or shredded chicken if you crave more protein.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or rice vinegar
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook, stirring often, until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown and soften, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and stir to coat. Add broth and milk and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add corn and potatoes, increase heat to medium-high and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids; see Tip.) Return the pureed soup to the saucepan along with chives, lemon juice (or vinegar) and the cooked bacon.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 338 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 444 mg sodium; 507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- EatingWell Serves Two