Corn & Bacon Chowder
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Comforting and wholesome, corn chowder served with a green salad makes a satisfying light supper. Stir in some cooked diced or shredded chicken if you crave more protein.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or rice vinegar
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon, and cook, stirring often, until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown and soften, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onion mixture and stir to coat. Add broth and milk and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add corn and potatoes, increase heat to medium-high and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids; see Tip.) Return the pureed soup to the saucepan along with chives, lemon juice (or vinegar) and the cooked bacon.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 338 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 444 mg sodium; 507 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- EatingWell Serves Two