Chicken Cordon Bleu Burger
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
The classic flavors of Chicken Cordon Bleu—ham, Swiss cheese and thyme—inspired this easy chicken burger. We like using regular ground chicken, which is a blend of thigh and drumstick meat, to help keep this burger juicy, but feel free to use 100% ground chicken breast if you’d like a leaner burger. You’ll cut 20 calories and 1 gram saturated fat. Serve with roasted broccoli.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped shallot, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/3 cup finely diced ham
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 small slices pumpernickel bread or 4 large slices, cut in half, toasted
- 12 large leaves spinach, tough stems removed
- Preheat grill to medium-high (or see Stovetop Variation).
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, 1 tablespoon shallot and 1/2 teaspoon thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the remaining 4 tablespoons shallot, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, chicken, ham, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top each burger with cheese and cook until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers on toasted bread with the herb mayonnaise and spinach.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare herb mayonnaise (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- Stovetop Variation: Coat a nonstick pan, preferably cast-iron (or a grill pan), with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add burgers, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 155°F (for pork and bison) or 165° (for beef or chicken), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Per serving: 350 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 119 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 910 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Potassium (26% dv), Folate (25% dv), Vitamin C (23% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (18% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2011