Chicken Cordon Bleu Burger
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
The classic flavors of Chicken Cordon Bleu—ham, Swiss cheese and thyme—inspired this easy chicken burger. We like using regular ground chicken, which is a blend of thigh and drumstick meat, to help keep this burger juicy, but feel free to use 100% ground chicken breast if you’d like a leaner burger. You’ll cut 20 calories and 1 gram saturated fat. Serve with roasted broccoli.
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped shallot, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/3 cup finely diced ham
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 small slices pumpernickel bread or 4 large slices, cut in half, toasted
- 12 large leaves spinach, tough stems removed
- Preheat grill to medium-high (or see Stovetop Variation).
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, 1 tablespoon shallot and 1/2 teaspoon thyme in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place the remaining 4 tablespoons shallot, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, chicken, ham, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top each burger with cheese and cook until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble the burgers on toasted bread with the herb mayonnaise and spinach.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare herb mayonnaise (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
- Stovetop Variation: Coat a nonstick pan, preferably cast-iron (or a grill pan), with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add burgers, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 155°F (for pork and bison) or 165° (for beef or chicken), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Per serving: 350 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 119 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 3 g fiber; 722 mg sodium; 910 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Potassium (26% dv), Folate (25% dv), Vitamin C (23% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (18% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2011