Cool Zucchini Slaw
Summertime—and zucchini is taking over your garden. Turn the bounty into a crisp, colorful salad.
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, (3 medium), grated
- 1 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place zucchini and onion in a colander set over a bowl. Add salt and toss to coat. Let drain at room temperature for 30 minutes. Rinse vegetables and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Transfer vegetables to a medium bowl. Add bell pepper, vinegar, apple juice concentrate and basil; toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 31 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 542 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% dv), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)