Composed Salad with Pickled Beets & Smoked Tofu
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This composed salad is an artful arrangement of greens, hard-boiled egg, smoked tofu, beets and snap peas drizzled with a cool, creamy dill dressing. It’s as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate. We like smoked tofu, but any flavored baked tofu would work well in this recipe. Serve with iced tea.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups torn Boston or Bibb lettuce
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), peeled and quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 8 ounces baked smoked tofu, diced
- 1 cup diced pickled beets (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
- Combine sour cream, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine lettuce and radicchio in a large bowl; divide among 4 large plates and top with equal portions of hard-boiled egg, tomato wedges, tofu, beets and snap peas. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of dressing over each salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
- Tip: Eggs, how to hard-boil: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- Shopping Tip: Look for pickled beets in a jar near other pickled vegetables in most supermarkets.
Per serving: 268 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 198 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 620 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (81% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv), Folate (33% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011