Composed Salad with Pickled Beets & Smoked Tofu
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This composed salad is an artful arrangement of greens, hard-boiled egg, smoked tofu, beets and snap peas drizzled with a cool, creamy dill dressing. It’s as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate. We like smoked tofu, but any flavored baked tofu would work well in this recipe. Serve with iced tea.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups torn Boston or Bibb lettuce
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), peeled and quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 8 ounces baked smoked tofu, diced
- 1 cup diced pickled beets (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
- Combine sour cream, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine lettuce and radicchio in a large bowl; divide among 4 large plates and top with equal portions of hard-boiled egg, tomato wedges, tofu, beets and snap peas. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of dressing over each salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
- Tip: Eggs, how to hard-boil: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- Shopping Tip: Look for pickled beets in a jar near other pickled vegetables in most supermarkets.
Per serving: 268 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 198 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 620 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (81% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv), Folate (33% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011