Composed Salad with Pickled Beets & Smoked Tofu
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
This composed salad is an artful arrangement of greens, hard-boiled egg, smoked tofu, beets and snap peas drizzled with a cool, creamy dill dressing. It’s as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate. We like smoked tofu, but any flavored baked tofu would work well in this recipe. Serve with iced tea.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups torn Boston or Bibb lettuce
- 2 cups torn radicchio
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (see Tip), peeled and quartered
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 8 ounces baked smoked tofu, diced
- 1 cup diced pickled beets (see Shopping Tip)
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
- Combine sour cream, dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine lettuce and radicchio in a large bowl; divide among 4 large plates and top with equal portions of hard-boiled egg, tomato wedges, tofu, beets and snap peas. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of dressing over each salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
- Tip: Eggs, how to hard-boil: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
- Shopping Tip: Look for pickled beets in a jar near other pickled vegetables in most supermarkets.
Per serving: 268 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 198 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 5 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 620 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (81% daily value), Vitamin C (42% dv), Folate (33% dv), Iron (20% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011