Cold Cucumber Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Tangy buttermilk and fresh mint make this chilled soup a refreshing starter in the summer.
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and chopped cucumbers (about 3 cucumbers), divided
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 ice cubes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place garlic clove on a cutting board and sprinkle with salt. Mash with the side of a chef’s knife into a smooth paste. Transfer to a blender.
- Reserving 1/2 cup of cucumbers for garnish, add the remaining cucumbers to the blender along with buttermilk, mint leaves, vinegar and ice cubes; blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved cucumbers and mint sprigs.
Per serving: 57 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996