Cold Cucumber Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Tangy buttermilk and fresh mint make this chilled soup a refreshing starter in the summer.
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and chopped cucumbers (about 3 cucumbers), divided
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 ice cubes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place garlic clove on a cutting board and sprinkle with salt. Mash with the side of a chef’s knife into a smooth paste. Transfer to a blender.
- Reserving 1/2 cup of cucumbers for garnish, add the remaining cucumbers to the blender along with buttermilk, mint leaves, vinegar and ice cubes; blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved cucumbers and mint sprigs.
Per serving: 57 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996