Cold Cucumber Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Tangy buttermilk and fresh mint make this chilled soup a refreshing starter in the summer.
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and chopped cucumbers (about 3 cucumbers), divided
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 ice cubes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place garlic clove on a cutting board and sprinkle with salt. Mash with the side of a chef’s knife into a smooth paste. Transfer to a blender.
- Reserving 1/2 cup of cucumbers for garnish, add the remaining cucumbers to the blender along with buttermilk, mint leaves, vinegar and ice cubes; blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved cucumbers and mint sprigs.
Per serving: 57 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 1996
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)