Cold Cucumber Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Tangy buttermilk and fresh mint make this chilled soup a refreshing starter in the summer.
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and chopped cucumbers (about 3 cucumbers), divided
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 ice cubes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place garlic clove on a cutting board and sprinkle with salt. Mash with the side of a chef’s knife into a smooth paste. Transfer to a blender.
- Reserving 1/2 cup of cucumbers for garnish, add the remaining cucumbers to the blender along with buttermilk, mint leaves, vinegar and ice cubes; blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved cucumbers and mint sprigs.
Per serving: 57 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996