From EatingWell: March 1998
Colcannon is a classic Irish side dish that couples mashed potatoes with cabbage or kale. We use low-fat milk instead of the more traditional cream-and-butter combination for a healthier profile.
- 6 sprigs sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 5 cups finely shredded green cabbage, (about 1 pound)
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Tie thyme sprigs with twine or in a cheesecloth bag. Combine milk, garlic and thyme in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently until garlic is soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard thyme.
- Transfer the milk mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pan and stir in scallions. Cover and set aside.
- Bring 1 inch salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add cabbage, cover and cook until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash with a potato masher or hand-held electric mixer. Gradually add the milk mixture to the potatoes, stirring until smooth. Stir in cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a warmed bowl and garnish with parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The potatoes can be prepared up to 1 hour ahead and kept warm, covered, over a larger pan of barely simmering water.
Per serving: 99 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 476 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- St Patrick's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March 1998