From EatingWell: March 1998
Colcannon is a classic Irish side dish that couples mashed potatoes with cabbage or kale. We use low-fat milk instead of the more traditional cream-and-butter combination for a healthier profile.
- 6 sprigs sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 5 cups finely shredded green cabbage, (about 1 pound)
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Tie thyme sprigs with twine or in a cheesecloth bag. Combine milk, garlic and thyme in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently until garlic is soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard thyme.
- Transfer the milk mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pan and stir in scallions. Cover and set aside.
- Bring 1 inch salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add cabbage, cover and cook until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash with a potato masher or hand-held electric mixer. Gradually add the milk mixture to the potatoes, stirring until smooth. Stir in cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a warmed bowl and garnish with parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The potatoes can be prepared up to 1 hour ahead and kept warm, covered, over a larger pan of barely simmering water.
Per serving: 99 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 476 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- St Patrick's Day
- March 1998