From EatingWell: March 1998
Colcannon is a classic Irish side dish that couples mashed potatoes with cabbage or kale. We use low-fat milk instead of the more traditional cream-and-butter combination for a healthier profile.
- 6 sprigs sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 5 cups finely shredded green cabbage, (about 1 pound)
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Tie thyme sprigs with twine or in a cheesecloth bag. Combine milk, garlic and thyme in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently until garlic is soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard thyme.
- Transfer the milk mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pan and stir in scallions. Cover and set aside.
- Bring 1 inch salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add cabbage, cover and cook until very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash with a potato masher or hand-held electric mixer. Gradually add the milk mixture to the potatoes, stirring until smooth. Stir in cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a warmed bowl and garnish with parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The potatoes can be prepared up to 1 hour ahead and kept warm, covered, over a larger pan of barely simmering water.
Per serving: 99 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 84 mg sodium; 476 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (68% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- St Patrick's Day
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March 1998