Coffee CrÃ¨me Anglaise
From EatingWell: December 1997
A couple of egg yolks are all you need to make a thick, rich cream sauce.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat milk and coffee granules in a small heavy saucepan over low heat until steaming. Gradually add to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes (an instant-read thermometer should read 160°F). Do not let sauce simmer.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Per tablespoon: 17 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- December 1997