Coffee CrÃ¨me Anglaise
From EatingWell: December 1997
A couple of egg yolks are all you need to make a thick, rich cream sauce.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat milk and coffee granules in a small heavy saucepan over low heat until steaming. Gradually add to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes (an instant-read thermometer should read 160°F). Do not let sauce simmer.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Per tablespoon: 17 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- December 1997