Coffee CrÃ¨me Anglaise
From EatingWell: December 1997
A couple of egg yolks are all you need to make a thick, rich cream sauce.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat milk and coffee granules in a small heavy saucepan over low heat until steaming. Gradually add to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 7 to 8 minutes (an instant-read thermometer should read 160°F). Do not let sauce simmer.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
Per tablespoon: 17 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 24 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- December 1997