Coffee Bean & Peppercorn Steak
Here's a recipe that packs a wallop. The bold combination of coffee beans and peppercorns works well on other rich meats, such as venison.
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, about 1-inch thick, trimmed of fat
- Preheat grill to high.
- Smash and peel garlic clove, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a spoon or the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in coffee and vinegar. Season with pepper.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together. Rub steaks with oil, sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Serve with the vinaigrette.
Per serving: 190 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 0 g fiber; 195 mg sodium; 347 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (39% daily value), Zinc (33% dv).
Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient