Coffee Bean & Peppercorn Steak
Here's a recipe that packs a wallop. The bold combination of coffee beans and peppercorns works well on other rich meats, such as venison.
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, about 1-inch thick, trimmed of fat
- Preheat grill to high.
- Smash and peel garlic clove, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a spoon or the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in coffee and vinegar. Season with pepper.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together. Rub steaks with oil, sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Serve with the vinaigrette.
Per serving: 190 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 0 g fiber; 195 mg sodium; 347 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (39% daily value), Zinc (33% dv).
Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient